Monday 29 November 2010

I'm in exile in my home country

I was meeting a friend in Preston City Centre, just after the EDL/UAF demonstrations ended.  I managed by accident to be swept along in a mass of EDL supporters, as I tried to walk up Church Street to meet a friend.  The abhorrent racist shouting, the all-surrounding threatening behaviour, the sea of balaclavas and the abject hooliganism can't be described in enough realism to anyone who hasn't witnessed it first-hand.

At first, I was a little scared - they were your typical football hooligan look-a-likes, some wearing hoodies proudly describing them members of a "division"; which was interesting as surely a movement with such belief in "English Defence" shouldn't need to be divided?  There was a massive Lancashire Constabulary presence and my fears, once I got out of the thick of it were abated.  Then I wanted to feel angry, wanted to vent and rage and make them see they were wrong.  But that didn't arrive; sadness did. I felt deflated.

In that moment I started to feel ashamed that I was born in the same country as these people.  The Britain I grew up believing in was fair, just and welcoming.  The England I grew up in was tolerant, liberal and secular.  These people weren't from my Britain, my England.  They singled out a large portion of English society for hatred under the guise that they were protecting English Christian values.  Moreover, it was thinly veiled under a wash of political demands for protection of the Justice System, but hatred was there all the same - I saw two men have chanted at them "Fuck off Pakis" and "Burn a Mosque".

That's the key here, the right wing groups like the English Defence League and British National Party have a knack, no matter how "fair" they wish to appear, to attract those in society who wish hatred on others.  In essence, these parties raise a patriotic emblem and ask that the traditional way of life is adhered to; which I'm sure Americans, with their Constitution, would have no problem with.  However, there are those in these parties who use their banner - borrowed from the nation - to spout abuse, hatred and violence on others; which isn't very patriotic at all.

Given the example I witnessed in Preston on Saturday, I'm not English.  I'm not British.  I'm in exile in my home country.  That's why I felt so sad.

1 comment:

  1. A little research will show you that it's not just the 'footsoldiers' of the EDL that display these racist views and criminal behaviours, it's their leaders too. Have a look at the wealth of evidence that 'Searchlight' have gathered on the EDL's leadership.

    ReplyDelete